When spinning comes...
Stay calm, do not panic.
Find a comfortable position to sit while waiting for assistance.
If you develop acute vertigo combined with vomiting, speech impairments, and weakness, seek immediate medical consult.
It is important to consult your doctor before taking any medication.
If you are driving, pull over, park your car safely and ask for assistance.
Download Be Mindful of Safety in pdf to learn more about staying safe with vertigo in your environment.
Moving the body and head while sitting stimulates our sense of balance. Fight and beat vertigo. Exercise while sitting.
Our eyes play important roles in maintaining balance. Got bogged down? Fight and beat vertigo. Exercise the eyes.
Standing on uneven surface or on one leg triggers quick coordination of the eyes, ears and muscles to maintain balance. Fight and beat vertigo. Exercise while standing.
Walking with coordination of the head, body and limbs sharpens our sense of balance. Fight and beat vertigo. Exercise while walking.
You should not use or rely on any Information in place of any such diagnosis and/or advice.
Do not delay in seeking the diagnosis and/or advice of your healthcare professional because of any Information you may have read or come across.
Do consult your healthcare professional before practicing or acting on any Information.
1. Vertigo-associated Disorders. MedlinePlus website. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001432.htm. Updated 01 July 2015. Accessed July 17, 2015.
2. Agus S, Benecke H, Thum C, Strupp M. Clinical and demographic features of vertigo: Findings from the REVERT registry. Front Neurol 2013;4:48.
3. MV Kirtane. Role of adaptation exercises in clinical practice. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and HNS. April 1999, 51(2)27-36. Physiotherapy for balance disorders. Available at https://www.klinikum.uni-muenchen.de/Deutsches-Schwindelzentrum-IFB-LMU/en/Patients/Download/Physiotherapy_for_balance_disorders/index.html
4. Dizziness. MedicineNet Website. https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=97800. Updated March 27, 2015. Accessed July 17, 2015
5. Medicines That May Cause Lightheadedness or Vertigo. WebMD website. https://www.webmd.com/brain/qa/what-medications-can-cause-dizziness-as-a-side-effect. Updated January 02, 2013. Accessed July 17, 2015.
6. Labyrinthitis. NHS Website. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Labyrinthitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Updated January 30, 2015. Accessed July 17, 2015.
7. TC Hain. Home treatments of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). Available at https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/home/home-pc.html. Last accessed on 17-11-2015
8. Information on Vertigo and Balance Disorders, https://www.klinikum.uni-muenchen.de/Deutsches-Schwindelzentrum-IFB-LMU/en/Patients/Information_on_Vertigo_and_Balance_Disorders/index.html
Sura D and Newll S. Vertigo – diagnosis and management in the primary care. British Journal of Medical Practitioners 2010;3(4)a351. https://www.welcomecure.com/diseases/vertigo/overview